Clients often do not know the reasons they should cancel an appointment. I find that clients will at times skip a booked appointment rather than call to cancel or reschedule their appointment. There is are a boat load of reasons and I will try to touch on some of the reasons I feel contribute to this issue.
The five very basic reasons clients miss an appointment are as follows:
1. Their calendar or life kept them from keeping the appointment. For example transportation, family issues, schedule conflicts
2. Massage Therapist has too long of a waiting list and no reminder system in place.
3. Not providing the client with a clear description of how your services will help them.
4. Making the client feel like they do not matter, showing disrespect or just not be present during the massage.
5. Clients are often embarrassed or forgetful about the appointment time or location.
The above reasons are all very good reasons for a client to feel uncomfortable with a massage therapist. In my business, I have a calendar that sends a reminder 24 hours before the appointment with an address and phone number so clients have the opportunity to cancel or remember the address without having to ask for it again. Sorry to say since I work alone, clients often have to wait to see me for several days or until they return to town. If a client has a work conflict, personal issue or just can’t afford the massage, please never feel bad about canceling, I will always be understanding of this. However, if you just don’t show I will not book you again since I usually have to turn down clients for your time slot. During my massages you are the center of my attention. I do not take phone calls and schedule my clients 30 mins apart to ensure I have time to let my clients dress and leave at a leisure pace. I also do not charge my clients for canceled appointments or missed appointments, all I ask is that you let me know.
Reasons to cancel an appointment are just a few and as follows.
1. Cash flow issues. I don’t take checks making it hard for some people to keep a booking when unexpected expenses arise after booking. If this is the case please call and let me know. Life happens to all of us.
2. Family or Work Crisis. These things happen to everyone including me. I do not judge what other consider a crisis situation. You are welcome to call and cancel or rebook.
3. Poison Ivy or Ring Worm. If you have either of these conditions please call me to cancel your appointment until you are well. I can not do your massage until it is gone.
4. Cold or Flu. Please cancel your appointment. I do not want to catch what you have or give it to other clients. Thank you for being considerate in this situation.
5. Anything anyone one can transmit to others. Please cancel your appointment until well. I do massage on people that have low immunity and do not need to get sick. Thank you for understanding.
In conclusion, I am very understanding of a call, text or email stating that you are unable to keep your appointment. I do not charge and put black marks on your name. However, if you choose to book and not show you will not be rebooked to receive an amazing massage. Your muscles will not be happy with you. Hope to see you soon.